I'm Iris Yuping Ren
I am a PhD candidate at the Utrecht University. My background: maths, physics, stats (BSc), complex system science (MSc), electrical and computer engineering (MSc), and cultural industry management (BMS). I’m interested in Music Information Retrieval (MIR), Functional Programming, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.
- Starting to make this new research website and retiring wordpress and googlesite.
- Iris Yuping Ren, Anja Volk, Wouter Swierstra, Remco C. Veltkamp “A Computational Evaluation of Musical Pattern Discovery Algorithms.” arXiv preprint arXiv:2010.12325 (2020).
- Berit Jassen, Tom Collins, and Iris Yuping Ren, “Algorithmic ability to predict the musical future: Datasets and evaluation”. In Proceedings of the 20th International Society for Music Information Retrieval, Delft, the Netherlands, 2019.
- Orestis Melkonian, Iris Yuping Ren, Wouter Swierstra, and Anja Volk. “What constitutes a musical pattern?”. In Proceedings of the 7th ACM SIGPLAN International Workshop on Functional Art, Music, Modeling, and Design (FARM 2019). ACM, New York, NY, USA, p. 95-105, 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3331543.3342587
- Iris Yuping Ren, Anja Volk, Wouter Swierstra, Remco C. Veltkamp, “Analysis by Classification: A Comparative Study of Annotated and Algorithmically Extracted Patterns in Symbolic Music Data”. International Society of Music Information Retrieval, Paris, France, 2018.
- Iris Yuping Ren, Hendrik Vincent Koops, Dimitrios Bountouridis, Anja Volk, Wouter Swierstra, Remco C. Veltkamp, “Feature Analysis of Repeated Patterns in Dutch Folk Songs using Principal Component Analysis.”. Folk Music Analysis, Thessaloniki, Greece, 2018.
- Iris Yuping Ren, Oriol Nieto, Hendrik Vincent Koops, Anja Volk, Wouter Swierstra, “Investigating Musical Pattern Ambiguity in a Human Annotated Dataset”. International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition/European Society for the Cognitive Sciences of Music. Graz, Germany, 2018.
- Iris Yuping Ren, Hendrik Vincent Koops, Anja Volk, Wouter Swierstra, “In Search of the Consensus among Musical Pattern Discovery Algorithms”. International Society of Music Information Retrieval, Suzhou, China, 2017.
- David Temperley, Iris Yuping Ren, Zhiyao Duan. “Mediant Mixture and “Blue Notes” in Rock: An Exploratory Study”. Music Theory Online, 2016.
- Iris Yuping Ren, Zhiyao Duan, Using Scale-Free Closed Patterns to Discover Repeated Themes and Sections in Monophonic Music. Music Information Retrieval Evaluation Exchange, New York City, USA, 2016.
- Iris Yuping Ren, David Temperley, Z Duan. ““Blue Notes” in Rock: An Exploratory Study”. Cognitively Based Music Informatics Research, New York City, USA, 2016.
- Iris Yuping Ren, “Closed patterns in folk music and other genres”. Proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Folk Music Analysis. Dublin, Ireland. 2016.
- Iris Yuping Ren, “Exploring the Rules in Species Counterpoint”. Conference on Computer Simulation of Musical Creativity, Huddersfield, UK, 2016.
- Iris Yuping Ren, René Doursat, Jean-Louis Giavitto, “Synchronisation in Music Group Playing”. International Symposium on Computer Music Multidisciplinary Research, Plymouth, UK, 2015.
- Iris Yuping Ren, Charo del Genio, “Complexity of Music Pattern”. Student Conference on Complexity Science, Singapore, 2014.
- Baoyang Song, Xiaozong Wang, Iris Yuping Ren. “Properly coloured paths and cycles in edge coloured graphs”. Journal of Shandong University, 2012.
My PhD thesis
Writing in progress.